Dream Job
With a year of nursing school under my belt, I can work at our local hospital as a nurse tech, which only means they can pay me very little to do almost all of the same work as an RN. I can assess patients, chart on the medical record, etc, but no invasive procedures (no IV's), and I can't give medications. So, I've hounded the nice nurse managers in the obstetrics department until they gave in and let me work there. Yippee! I'll start next week working a few hours a week (probably weekend nights) in the antepartum department, which is high-risk pregnancies on bed rest and monitoring. I'll start by shadowing an RN until I get the hang of things, then be assigned up to four patients on the unit, with an RN giving meds when needed and supervising care a little. I'll also be cross-trained in the NICU and post-partum departments, so I'll get more experience with mom-baby, which is where I think I want to be when I finish school. I'm so excited. The women's hospital has just been renovated, so it's a nice place to work, and they have some pretty cool new technology that they didn't have six years ago when I was a two-week resident of their floor (with the twins). I can't wait!
0 comments:
Post a Comment